To help employers located within Transportation Management Districts (TMDs) encourage their employees to use transit and vanpooling, Montgomery County is introducing a FareShare matching subsidy program. The short term County subsidy will match the employer’s transit benefits, and will help employers offset their commute benefit program start-up costs.
FareShare will match the employer’s transit benefit offered by the employer up to a maximum of $50/month per participating employee (up to $10,000 in one year to any one employer). Employers can offer their employees any amount up to the maximum of $255/month permitted by Federal tax law as a tax-free commute benefit.
- Employers not yet offering a direct transit/vanpool benefit: The County will assist in starting a commuter benefits program and will match the benefit offered by the employer up to $50/employee/month.
- Employers already offering a transit benefit — but less than the maximum allowable $255/month: The County will match any increase in the transit benefit up to $50/month.
- Transit and vanpool benefits must be offered through WMATA’s SmartBenefits program.
- Employers are eligible for a Maryland state tax credit of 50% of their contribution, up to a maximum of $100/employee/month. This credit is available to both for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
- This program is contingent upon availability of County funds.
Employers, learn more about how participating in FareShare can help you and your employees. Feel free to call your NBTMD Fare Share Representative Traci McPhail at 301-770-8108 or email@example.com.
Read the Fare Share Brochure!